INSTALLATION CHECKLIST – Here’s some things to watch out for in your Rivet installation…
1. Make sure the cables are attached properly at both ends with regard to the ground pin.
At the pickup, the black wire goes on the pin furthest from the center of the pickup. It is marked with the word “ground” and also a small white triangle.
At the connector card, being held looking at the back such that the “BRIDGE”, “MIDDLE”, and “NECK” text is legibly oriented along the bottom, the black wire goes in the hole furthest to the left for the cable position in question. (There is a white triangle marking the ground hole for the middle and neck pickups, but not for the bridge as soldering pins are in the way.)
2. Make sure that in the back of the connector card, you have a jumper inserted into the neck/middle/bridge cable positions which do not have Rivet cables going to Rivet pickups.
3. Make sure there are no short circuits in these areas:
Under the pickups, make sure no braided wire shielding is short circuiting against the screws and silver square patterns along the edge of the pickup opposite the connector pins. That area may be covered with black cloth tape for insulation.
In the control cavity, make sure no stray exposed wire or braided shield is contacting any of the pins of the connect0r card.
In the control cavity, make sure the connector card itself is not colliding with any solder lugs on pot or jacks, etc.
In the control cavity, make sure the exposed silver braided shielding of the cables is not touching any solder lugs on pots or jacks, etc.
4. Make sure the wire leads on the push~pull pot have not broken loose during installation.
5. Make sure the razor blade card is deeply seated in the slot it is fitted into. To confirm, remove the screw that holds it down and angle it up about 45 degrees, and it should become movable within the slot. Press it deeply in, evenly at both ends, and then push it down against the connector card and replace the screw. It should now be well seated.